When it was built in 1957, the MSU fieldhouse's 300 foot diameter dome was the second largest dome in the country and the largest clearspan wooden structure in the world. The the unusual design by architect Oswald (Ozzie) Berg, Jr. has stood the test of five decades.
In 1998 a $13.2 million renovation was completed that transformed the building into a modern multi-purpose arena. A new main entrance was constructed on the south side that brings spectators into the arena at the mezzanine level. Elevators and other features were added to make the building handicapped accessible. Old bleacher and chairback seats were replaced. The building's mechanical systems were upgraded, and additional fire, life-safety, and seismic features were added to bring the building up to modern codes. The renovation also featured new administrative and coaches offices, locker room improvements, better concession stands, new reception areas, and a new Hall of Fame. The arena can be converted quickly from athletic events to concerts, to theater performances.